Denver, CO. We have all played sports at some point in our lives, whether it be during high school and college, or in a coed softball or flag football league. Some of us have even taken it to the point of having to wear a certain jersey number when playing these sports, even to this day. Superstitions take over, and not being able to wear a certain number for our 30 and older coed beer league will obviously have a negative impact on our play….;)….We have either chosen a number based on a particular athlete we love, or maybe it was a number you had on when you nailed the game winning jump shot. When pro athletes are traded or sign with a new team, often times the new player will ante up some cash to purchase his old number if a guy already has it. It means this much, and it has become somewhat of a brand for certain icons. When ya think Jordan, it’s #23. Elway, #7. Gretzky, #99. The number on an athletes jersey sometimes becomes just as important as his name or the city he plays for. So with that said, in the newest chapter in our “Top 7″ Series, here are the 7 greatest jersey numbers of all time…..
7. #16 - The guys who wore this number include potentially the greatest QB of all time, Joe Montana. Hockey Hall of Famer Brett Hull also wore it, as did Chiefs QB Len Dawson and Raiders icon George Blanda.
6. #21 - 5 current or future Hall of Famers here, as Tim Duncan, Roberto Clemente, Deion Sanders, LaDainian Tomlinson, and Dominique Wilkins wore this number.
5. #8 - A hockey player makes the list, as current stud Alexander Ovechkin wears #8. Also, NFL Hall of Famers Troy Aikman and Steve Young, as well as MLB legends Cal Ripken, Jr and Carl Yastrzemski. Kobe Bryant wore #8 for the majority of his career before switching to #24 a few years back.
4. #12 - This a classic NFL QB number, that includes the likes of Terry Bradshaw, Roger Staubach, Joe Namath, and Tom Brady. Also, add in all time assists king John Stockton, and this number is easily one of the most iconic ever.
3. #33 - Here is where we start to get into the upper echelon of all time jersey numbers. This number is led by the NBA’s all time leading scorer, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. With him, you have one of our home town heroes, Patrick Roy. Patrick Ewing, Tony Dorsett, Larry Bird, and Scottie Pippen also donned the #33. Quite a list here.
2. #34 - This number covers the spectrum of several all time greats….Shaquille O’Neal, Hakeem Olajuwon, Charles Barkley, and Paul Pierce from the NBA. Then you have NFL running backs Walter Payton and Bo Jackson, along with all time strikeouts leader Nolan Ryan. So what number could possibly outdo this one?
1. #32 - Where do I begin? Ok, how about gimme some Magic Johnson, Dr J during his early years, Karl Malone and Kevin McHale. Then, how about Jim Brown, Marcus Allen, and Franco Harris. Oh, and one of the greatest pitchers of all time, Sandy Koufax. The career numbers put up by the guys who wore #32 makes this one the best of all time.
Denver Sports by J Simp
New 2012 NFL Nike Jerseys Available Now!