Denver, CO – Top 7 Colorado Rockies? With the way the team is playing right now this is a tough list to put together. Either way, let’s give it a shot.
7. – Jason Giambi – Although not an every day player Giambi brings a skill that can’t be undervalued – Veteran leadership. The Rockies signed some impact players in the off-season like Michael Cuddyer and Marco Scutaro but the best signing was Giambi. Jason brings a fear to pitchers whether he is pinch hitting or playing for Todd Helton. Best walkup song on the roster as well.
6. – Matt Belisle – I know, putting a pitcher on this list might seem ironic with how the pitching staff has performed as of late but you can’t ignore Belisle’s effectiveness over the last 3 years. Although he has given up some big hits and runs recently he still has a 2.91 ERA and has appeared in 20 games – by far the most in the bullpen with Rex Brothers being sent down to AAA.
5. – Tyler Colvin – Maybe a surprise to be on this list but Colvin has proven he is a great addition to this team. The main reason I put Colvin on this list is his versatility. Mainly playing in the outfield so far, Colvin can also play first and third base while also being able to play any of the outfield positions. Going into today Colvin has a .291 batting average which is second to Carlos Gonzalez for players with 30 plus games played. Look for Colvin to potentially push Dan O’Dowd to think about trading Dexter Fowler.
4. – Todd Helton – At 38 years old Todd may be looking towards an end to his career but he is still one of the best overall players on the roster. Helton is have a difficult year at the plate so far this year hitting a un-Helton like .212 but has shown some power with 4 home runs and 7 doubles. The main reason Helton still makes this list is his defense. Over his career he has picked thousands of low throws out of the dirt and in my mind may be the best defensive fist baseman to ever play the game.
3. – Michael Cuddyer – Potentially the best pickup in the off-season for the Rockies, Cuddyer is showing why the Rockies made a push to pick him up. Solid defense in right field paired with experience on winning teams Cuddyer was an easy selection for this list. Michael struggled at the plate but has been pretty hot as of late. Currently sitting with a .267 batting average, Cuddyer has 4 home runs and is second on the team in RBI with 25 behind Carlos Gonzalez with 32. Look for Cuddyer to be a driving force on trying to turn this team around.
2. – Troy Tulowitzki – Troy is not off to the start he wanted to be and will openly admit he needs to pick up his game. Currently sitting with a .262 batting average Troy continues to struggle in the big moments with men on base. Too many double plays and pop ups this far into the season. When looking at players though you have to add Troy to this list. He already has 7 errors this season which is one more than he had all of last year so not what we expect from Troy but he will turn around his defense. The key for Troy is turning around his work at the plate.
1. – Carlos Gonzalez – Carlos by far this year is the Rockies best player. As seems normal with Cargo he started off slow at the plate but has really been on a hot streak as of late. Cargo leads the team in batting average for players with more than 30 games played at .305 and also leads the team in home runs (8) and RBI (32). With stellar fielding and a rocket for an arm it was an easy pick to put Cargo at the top of this list. Gonzalez will undoubtedly be the only Rockie to appear at the All Star Game in July.
Well there it is DSC fans. Off to one of the worst starts in team history, let’s look to these 7 players to pick up the struggling team and at least make watching the Rockies enjoyable this season.
Denver Sports Chat – Kris Loco